Mold is impossible to completely eliminate. That’s why mold removal services is typically called “remediation” because we can’t remove all the mold in a home or commercial building in Olympia WA, but we can remove most of the mold and bring the spore count in the building back down to acceptable levels. It’s not a permanent solution, but it can last for decades or longer if you take care of the building properly.
Still, sometimes mold breaks out before you realize it. It can grow in places you never visit or never see, but you’ll know it’s there thanks to the other signs it creates. So even if you don’t end up spotting a wall covered in mold, there are several ways you can identify when it’s time to call the experts.
Leaking Water And High Humidity
All living creatures need water to survive. Mold spores can go for years without water, but they’ll remain inactive until they get the water they need and they land on a surface where they can get nutrients. So if there’s enough moisture in the air or on a surface, mold can grow, but if everything stays dry then mold can’t grow.
In other words, if your basement or crawlspace floods, if a pipe or your roof starts leaking, or even if summer time in Olympia WA is very humid and you don’t have a dehumidifier in your basement where water vapor condenses from the cold, you can expect mold to start growing in the affected area. You might be able to scrub the mold off yourself, and if nothing happens after that you should be good. However, if the mold reappears or you detect other signs of mold, you should contact a professional service.
Smells And Sights
You don’t have to spot a mold bloom to identify one with your senses. Mold releases spores as part of its life cycle, and while you’re always breathing in a few spores both indoors and outside, there usually aren’t enough in the air to smell. When mold starts growing throughout a building in Olympia WA, it releases enough spores to create a musty and unpleasant smell, one that’s hard to ignore. You can also spot mold growing on the other sides of walls and ceilings by spotting dark stains that appear with no explanation.
Some mold varieties can cause problems if you breathe in too many spores at once. Even if you can’t smell mold, you might experience:
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
These symptoms usually aren’t dangerous, but they can make staying at home feel miserable. However, a lot of things can cause these symptoms, so the best way to see if it’s mold is to leave the building for a few hours. If the symptoms clear up while you’re away, there’s a good chance it’s mold.
You may be able to scrape away small blooms, but there’s a good chance there’s even more mold on surfaces you can’t see or reach. At times like this, you should bring in professionals. We can inspect your Olympia home for mold and let you know for certain whether you need our services.